Link building is an essential part of SEO or search engine optimization. Since 2003 when the rules of SEO changed, so-called ‘tricks’ are no longer good enough. If you want to increase the number of people who come to visit your website then link building must happen.
Here we tell you about some of the most important link building techniques for 2019. Google is the most important search engine (this everyone knows). This is why having your keywords appear on the first page of Google is so important.
When you look at the statistics, it’s easy to see the lion’s share of clicks are going to the highest ranked search results. Different studies have put the traffic share of the first position at around 33, with the second position getting around 15% of share, 9% going to number 3, and steeper dropoffs after number 5. At minimum, 75% of clicks go to the first page of search results.
So at first glance, if you rank at number 1 for a search term related to one of your keyword targets that is searched for 1000 times, you can expect around 300 clicks to your site.
More crunching numbers – backlinko’s Google CTR Stats
I see almost everyone with a website do SEO. Most website owners will have a SEO firm take of this for them. But most website owners will not be aware of the best link building techniques.
So what are the best link building techniques?
Google has even stated that backlinks are one of the top 3 things it looks for when ranking. But it needs to be quality links. Here is a look at what link building is and the latest and best in techniques to use.
What are backlinks?
Backlinks are clickable links from one website that lead to another. You might, for example, use a search engine to look up the address of a business you need to get to. That will bring up a business directory that has information about the business as well as a link you can click on to see their site.
It was once the case that a site just needed a lot of backlinks and the quality of them did not matter. That is no longer the case. As a result link building has become a vital part of the SEO profession.
Why is link building so important?
There was a time when search engines like Yahoo were the main search engines around and they used just content to rank sites. But when Google came along things changed. Google looked at links too. Now almost 20 years later the Google way is still top. Quality link building is important for many reasons. A few include;
• It is through skilled links that Google can find your website
• Links are in the top three things Google uses to rank your site
• It makes your website more available to more people generating more site traffic
• It indicates a trust level in your website that other sites accept links leading there
• The internet consists of billions of links and all successful sites need to be a part of them
Andrey Lipattsev, a senior strategist from Google has stated that at Google the two top-ranking factors are ‘…content and .. links pointing to your site.
The hunt for high-quality links
Low-quality links face penalties so while it takes some hard work, you should be looking for only high-quality links. There are several things to look for that makes a link better than others.
1. The authority of the page and the site – Links must come from so-called authoritative sites. This is because they pass more PageRank or authority to your site. Google might not share a sites PageRank data, but there are places where you can check a URL’s rating like Ahrefs.com. Authoritative links are harder to get but worth the work.
2. The site also needs to be relevant – Where once any link from a high Pagerank site would count, now the theme has to be relevant to your website.
3. Think about the link’s position – You want your link to be in the main body of content not to the side or has a footnote.
4. More weight is placed on editorial links – These are links placed by someone else who liked what they saw on your site, not one you have done yourself.
5. Create links from keyword anchor text – An area that has seen abuse so avoid overdoing it.
6. Co-Occurrences – Use text around the links that indicates what the page you are linking to is about.
7. Guest blogging – Can still be relevant as long as the posts are on an authoritative site and are well, relevant!
Creating content that generates better links
Of course, content is important in SEO but it also is important in link building too. Some content creates more links than others. Those are content that includes visual assets, list type posts, original data, and ultimate guide type posts. Here is a closer look at what each one is.
1. Using visual assets in the content – just as it suggests content is more likely to have links to it if it has things like pictures, charts, graphics, and diagrams. People respond to visual messages, there is a lot of power in that.
2. Using list posts as content – these are posts that essentially just list something. It might be techniques, how to, different tips, really anything can be written in list form! These are effective and popular as content because they break down information into easy to digest sections. The listing breaks up the written content visually too so readers are not faced with a huge block of writing.
3. Content containing original data and research – This is not the same as re-writing old information in a new way. This is real original data from the latest studies or new surveys. People will link to your data and those links can quickly add up.
4. Ultimate guides content – These ultimate guides are in-depth and comprehensive posts that will cover everything someone needs to know about something. There is a lot of information that needs to be broken up but it means readers do not have to go elsewhere to find out more. Definitive or complete guides are link-worthy pieces of content.
Links are an important part of SEO and online marketing and look to continue to be so. As well as increasing the traffic your site sees, they can also improve your ranking, the relationships between sites and your reputation.
It is not about having lots of links, it is about having quality links. This discussion has been about white hat SEO techniques but there are also black hat methods. The problem is Google will strongly penalize any site that uses such methods.